Thursday, 14 April 2016

Giving Notice of Marriage

If you are having a civil marriage or civil partnership in England/Wales you will need to book an appointment for both you and your partner to 'give notice' of your intention to marry.

It is a similar thing to have your Banns read in church however slightly different and more involved.

This is what the General Registration Office says about Notice giving:

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at your local register office. You need to include details of where you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.
You may also need to give notice here if you plan to marry or form a civil partnership abroad. Ask the overseas authority if you’ll need a ‘certificate of no impediment’.

You will need to take documents to your appointment and many of those are dependant upon your marital status and whether or not you have changed your name in the past.

Here is a list of what you will need:

  • Passport (Must be valid and in date.)


  • Your full birth certificate (if you were born after 1st Jan 1983 you will also need to provide your mother's birth certificate. If your biological parents were married at the time you were born you can bring your father's birth certificate instead.)
  • Proof of address (You may use your drivers licence providing it has your correct address and is valid. Bank statements dated within 1 month, Utility Bills dated within 3 months or your most recent Council Tax Statement are also acceptable. 
  • If you have been married previously and divorced you will need to take your Decree Absolute. 
  • If you have been married and widowed you will need to take in a certified copy of your husband/wife's death certificate.
  • If you have changed your name in the past either through marriage or by a change of name deed the Registrar will need to see evidence of this. If you were divorced and reverted back to using your maiden name after receiving your Decree Absolute the Registrar will need to see your marriage certificate. You will be able to obtain a copy of this from the registration district or church in which you were married.

If you are in any doubt about the documents to take with you to your appointment, you should always contact the Registration Office where you are giving notice for clarification.
For more information follow this link to visit the General Registration Office Website: 

Hope this helps and makes things a little clearer for you.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment